Sunday, August 3, 2008


To celebrate our officially last weekend of being carefree, we headed out to DC to stay in a hotel, enjoy city life and live it up. It was absolutely great, except that it turned out to be not so carefree after all.

We stayed at Omni Shoreham....Omni has never failed us. We got all the service perks you expect from them, including chocolate-covered strawberries and other fruit at turndown, for free. Oh, Yum. But, not to get ahead.

Bismarck enjoys the luxurious accomodations

Testing out the mattress firmness

Olya showing off her belly before it disappears....

From Shoreham hotel, you can actually take a trail in Rock Creek Park all the way into Dumbarton Park, in Georgetown. It's a leisurely 30-minute walk, it's beautiful and it's the best of both worlds. Bismarck was thrilled with the idea, so we headed out into the park!

We made it down to the creek, letting Bisy enjoy the water and run about. Lucky dog immediately found someone to play with - a cute black lab mix that ran him around in the creek, that flirt.

Eventually, the dogs got tired and we took off for the rest of our walk. We brought everything we needed for the afternoon - except an umbrella. Which, of course, meant that a storm was going to hit.... and did it ever. We ran for the park gazebo, getting completely soaked.

We waited and waited for the rain to stop, with Bismarck hunting squirrels in 26-foot radius of the gazebo to pass the time. Finally, the rain calmed down, and we wondered back out to the streets, walking over to Dean and Deluca for some food. Wondered around Georgetown, took the same trail back to our hotel, enjoyed the turn-down service.... and watched 2 movies. After taking Bismarck out for his last walk of the night through the beautiful Woodley Park neighborhood, we made plans for Sunday. We were going to paddleboat, or sailboat, or just go back to Georgetown and be lazy. We were going to definitely enjoy our favorite Omni amenity of delicious breakfast in bed. We were in bed by 2am.

At 4 am, "WHEEEEZ!! WHEEEZ!!". It wasn't a scary noise until we realized that it was coming from our dog. He looked miserable, was making these horrifying noises and was convulsing to throw up. After having that go on for about an hour non-stop, we decided we best get him to an emergency vet clinic. We ran out of the hotel, with the lovely Omni staff bringing us a free pot of coffee to keep us awake through the morning. We rushed to Rockville emergency hospital, had our poor puppy examined, and determined that his terrifying, choking, convulsing, throw-up-looking cough is simply a canine upper respiratory infection. Oh, what a relief.....

So, not so carefree after all. :) But hey, we have never been so happy to get rid of our plans to find out that a cough is just a cough. May be we are ready for this parenting thing after all. Who knew?


Post a Comment

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails